Thursday, February 6, 2014

February's BIG Question!

February 2014
BIG Question!

Rabbi Flip: 
So much of our lives are out of our control. What is under our control is how we react to the world around us. I have learned that it is more important to be wise not just in words, but in actions. Life is not fair, but we should still try to be. Authenticity is born of living one’s values. What is it that I value? I value my health. So I exercise regularly. I value my happiness; my relationships nourish me. So I tend my family, friends, colleagues, and community. Plus, all children are amazing, so I am nice to all of them, even the ones that appear rotten. This makes them and me happy.

I value my continued growth. Finding meaning in life requires taking time to ask some of life’s key questions. Why I am here? What do I hope to achieve? Who do I love? How do I express that love? How can I keep growing? In the last few years of my life, I have learned to value going outside of my comfort zone, and when I do, my comfort zone increases its size.

Congregation Micah is based on the principles of justice and compassion. This means that we must care for those we love as well as be kind to those who we do not, even though it can be difficult. And true caring requires sharing. As Jews, tzedakah, giving back is part of living a life of justice and compassion. Besides, stuff is just stuff. Life is too short to bear a grudge or seek revenge. Never underestimate the importance of saying thank you. Thank you Micah for helping me become the kind of rabbi I am.

Rabbi Laurie:
What I’ve learned is that I am forever a student so long as I know there are opportunities to grow and expand my comfort zone and frame of knowledge daily. I have learned that community and relationships matter most, including my relationship with the Divine, which, for me, is enlivened through gratitude for the many blessings in my life. I have learned that there is something infinitely sacred about being on a journey through this life with my family, colleagues and congregants at Micah, and friends. And I am learning, every day...

Board President – Marjean Coddon:
What I’ve learned....
That kindness really counts and expressing gratitude really works; keeping an open mind and an open heart helps me listen better; laughter is the best antidote to whatever is hurting.

Executive Director – Todd Evans:
I’ve had the opportunity to meet and learn from so many of our congregants; the many Micah Board members that have taught me so much through their countless hours of volunteered time. I’ve learned how lucky we are at Micah, all we have to do is look around and appreciate the beauty of the Micah campus.

I’ve learned that Micah is so lucky to have the Rices as our Rabbis. I’ve learned to appreciate how great the Micah Children’s Academy; to walk down that hallway and here the giggles is a great feeling.

I’ve learned how lucky I am as an individual, to have my best friend as my wife and three wonderful, healthy kids. This past year I’ve learned to appreciate my health and not to take that for granted.

Cantorial Soloist – Lisa Silver
What I’ve learned so far.....
As a Music Director/Cantorial Soloist:
  • Equipment and technology are not always reliable
  • Dave Kenyon is always reliable (he keeps the equipment working!)
  • I am fortunate to have the opportunity to sing and play with wonderful musicians at Micah
  • Always keep LOTS of batteries on hand
As a Music Teacher at Micah Children’s Academy:
  • Little ones never tire of seeing me pull a tiny plastic shark out of “Dog the Fish”
  • You can’t have enough props
  • Jumping up and down is the favorite dance move
About Congregation Micah:
  • We have a creative, talented, hardworking staff
  • We have friendly and welcoming congregants
About the Bnai Mitzvah dessert table:
  • Just. Walk. Away.

Micah Children’s Academy:
What have we learned this year?
  • When we’re accountable to children, we always make the best choices
  • The importance of partnering with our families and teachers to meet our goals for our children
  • Good leadership is difficult and requires collaboration and a 24/7 commitment
  • We are constantly learning new methods, strategies, and tools in order to grow the Academy
  • Be careful what you ask for; you just might get it!

Education Director – Julie Greenberg:
What I Have Learned So Far…
Both in and beyond the classroom, I have learned that the lasting and redemptive power of love makes up for so many of the world’s shortcomings. I believe that we all have a divine spark within us, and being present for each other is the most valuable gift that we can offer. There is no such thing as perfection, and forgiveness has a power all its own. Parenthood takes practice and lots of patience. We are all teachers, we all have much to learn from each other, and the way that we walk in this world really does make a difference every day. Lastly, I have learned that ancient Hebrew sounds most holy when chanted, however ably, by courageous 13-year-olds. Amen.

Office Assistant – Erin Halstead & Megan Scurlock:
What we’ve learned so far...
  • Micah’s congregants are kind and welcoming
  • New technology can be worth working out the kinks when it ultimately streamlines our process
  • Julie Greenberg can be in 5 places at once on a Sunday morning
  • Our diverse congregation calls for a broad use of communication outlets
  • Our synagogue, even the cemetery, is very beautiful and impressive to visitors
  • We are very lucky to work with a supportive and fun staff
  • The hottest group at Micah is the Tuesday Mah Jongg players
  • We have a lot of great volunteers who can help at a moment’s notice

No comments:

Post a Comment