Thursday, April 23, 2015

Modern State of Israel

"If I forget you, O Jerusalem, may my right hand wither.  
May my tongue cleave to the roof of my mouth if I do not remember you, 
if I do not raise you above my highest joy. " (Psalm 137:5-6)

     The modern State of Israel, unlike the vision of peace we pray for, is subject to the grit and grime of reality: living in a hazardous neighborhood, at times subjected to questionable ethics by some of its political leaders, with a unique challenge of existing as a Jewish nation and a working democracy. These should not repel us from its heart and soul. The birth of any nation comes at a price, and Israel's birth was no different. Yesterday, on Yom HaZikaron, and as Israel mourned its losses, we too held a service here in the Micah sanctuary in honor of the soldiers who paid the ultimate price in giving their lives for the country. The mood in Israel quickly shifts, as now the country and our community celebrates Yom Ha-Atzmaut, Israeli Independence Day. Please join Rabbi Laurie as we celebrate at the Gordon Jewish Community Center this evening marking the holiday with songs, speeches, torch lightings and more!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment