Thursday, February 5, 2015

The one who is like God....




“The word of the LORD that came to Micah…and he had a vision!” 
(Micah 1:1)

Hi. Let me introduce myself. They call me Micah; the “One who is like God.” The greatest ancestor who bore my name did so thousands of years ago. S/He lived in the holy land of Israel, and was a prophet and an author. You can read about this stalwart of a Jew in The Book of Micah, found in the prophetical section of the Bible. Micah’s audience was mostly folks who lived in Jerusalem and his words were often a rebuke of people for dishonesty in the marketplace and all the corruption that pervaded the government. Not me, I live in Brentwood, TN, and most of what I have to say is meant to inspire you.

A large part of my mission is to nourish your soul; the spiritual side you often ignore. Souls in Judaism are by definition a perspective rather than a substance, a viewpoint toward objects rather than an object in and of itself. However intangible and indefinable, souls refer to that unknown component inside of each of us, which makes meaning possible. For it is our souls that help us to distinguish between ourselves and everything else that happens. 

Micah (that’s me…that’s us) was conceived of in love by brave souls who were not afraid to dream, fantasize even about the imaginative possibilities in our natures. Why? Because the experience of reflective speculation in a safe place like our beautiful sanctuary or in the memorial garden or cemetery on our sacred grounds, helps transform an event into an experience, and a group of people into a community.

Hey, I am pretty sure the ones who founded me named me Micah because of how well the original Micah summed up what Judaism means to each individual soul:   
“What is good? 
What does God require of you? 
Do justly, and love mercy, and walk humbly with thy God?” (Micah 6:8)

No comments:

Post a Comment